Markelova Natalia Nikolaevna, Applicant, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Semenova Elena Fedorovna, Candidate of biological sciences, professor, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, senior staff scientist, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Shpichka Anastasia Iosifovna, Candidate of biological sciences, associate professor, sub-department of general and clinical pharmacology, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Zhuchenko Elena Vladimirovna, Student, Penza State University (40 Krasnaya street, Penza, Russia), email@example.com
Background. During recent years different medicinal plants and vegetable extracts are of interest due to their antibiotic activity. The researches carried out testify to the possibility of these oils to be used for treatment of human infections. The aimof the study is to investigate antibacterial effects of rose oil in comparison with antibiotics on some opportunistic Gram-negative bacteria.
Materials and methods. The research objects were 4 species of opportunistic Gram-negative bacteria. The test of sensitivity to antibiotics (17 drugs) and rose oil (2 samples) was studied by the disk-diffusion method.
Results. The comparative estimation showed the bactericidal and bacteriostatic effect of rose essential oils and antibiotics of various origin on the tested hospital strains. The synergetic and antagonistic effects were determined in vitro for combined influence of rose oil and antibiotics, perspective and recommended for each studied species.
Conclusions. The antibacterial effect of essential oils of roses on Stenotrophomonas maltophilia, Psеudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, Klebsiella pneumoniae was revealed. In several cases of antibiotic resistance of the tested cultures the intensity of bactericidal and bacteriostatic effects of essential oil exceeds
the ones of antibiotics with concentrations of 5…30 μg.
1. Brooke J. S. Clinical Microbiology Reviews. 2012, no. 25 (1), pp. 2–41.
2. Reichling J., Schnitzler P., Suschke U., Saller R. Forschende Komplementärmedizin [Research in Complementary Medicine]. 2009, no. 16, pp. 79–90.
3. Tkachenko K. G. Efiromaslichnye rasteniya semeystv Apiaceae, Asteraceae i Lamiaceae na severo-zapade Rossii (biologicheskie osobennosti, sostav i perspektivy ispol'zovaniya efirnykh masel): avtoref. dis. d-ra biol. nauk [Essential oil plants of Apiaceae, Asteraceae and Lamiaceae families of the North-West of Russia (biological features, compound and prospects of essential oil usage): author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the doctor of biological sciences]. Saint Petersburg: SPbGETU «LETI», 2013, 40 p.
4. Fabio A., Cermelli C., Fabio G., Nicoletti P., Quaglio P. Phytotherapy. 2007, no. 21, pp. 374–377.
5. Markelova N. N., Khot'ko N. I., Smol'kova Yu. E. Mediko-farmakologicheskie resursy i zdorovyy obraz zhizni kak sredstva povysheniya kachestva i prodolzhitel'nosti zhizni cheloveka. LXIX Mezhdunar. nauch.-prakt. konf. (14 20 noyabrya 2013 g.) [Medicalpharmacological resources and healthy life style as means of human life quality and span improvement. LXIX International scientific and practical conference (14–20 November 2013)]. London: International Academy of Science and Higher Education, 2013, pp. 43–46.
6. Markelova N. N., Semenova E. F. Materialy 78-y itogovoy stud. nauch.-prakt. konf. s mezhdunar. uchastiem, posvyashch. 95-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya professora Yu. M. Lubenskogo (22–25 aprelya 2014 g.) [Proceedings of 78th concluding student scientific and practical conference with international participation commemorating 95th jubilee of professor Yu. M. Lubensky (22–25 April 2014)]. Krasnoyarsk: Tip. KrasGMU, Verso, 2014, pp. 391–393.
7. Opredelenie gramotritsatel'nykh potentsial'no patogennykh bakteriy – vozbuditeley vnutribol'nichnykh infektsiy [Determination of gram-negative potentially pathogenic bacteria-causative agents of intrahospital infections]. Moscow, 1986, 36 p.
8. European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (EUCAST), 2014.
9. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), 2013.
10. Trukhacheva N. V. Matematicheskaya statistika v mediko-biologicheskikh issledovaniyakh s primeneniem paketa Statistica [Mathematical statistics in biomedical research using Statistica package]. Moscow: GEOTAR-Media, 2012, 384 p.